Mason jar salads have many benefits. They can take the boredom out of your lunchtime routine, they're packed with nutrient-dense foods, and they can give you the opportunity to use your lunch hour for a brisk walk or a yoga class.
Here are some tips for prepping your vegetables and packing a mason jar to keep salads fresh for up to seven days when you start with market fresh ingredients. So pull out the jars and let the cutting and layering begin!
- 32-ounce mason jars are preferred over the 16-ounce size because it's easier to fill and easier to dump out.
- Mason jars seal tighter so delicate salads stay fresher, longer and won't absorb odors which plastic may.
- If you don't have mason jars, any glass jar with lids that fit tightly will do the trick.
- Squirt lime or lemon juice on avocado before packing to keep it's fresh color, texture, and taste.
- Layering is the key to crisp lettuce and great taste, making it crucial to put the 1-4 tablespoons of salad dressing at the bottom
- First, add the heartier veggies like carrots, cauliflower, celery, cucumbers, peppers, red onion, etc.
- Softer veggies are next — so add a mix of beans, zucchini, corn, mushrooms, asparagus, and sprouts
- For a more filling salad, add a grain or pasta layer — brown rice, orzo, couscous, quinoa are great choices
- Your protein layer will usually be cubed or crumbled cheese, diced roasted chicken, shrimp, or boiled eggs.
- The final, top layer is lettuce, nuts, and seeds – far away from the dressing to stay crispy and crunchy.
3 Unique Mason Jar Salad Combinations
Taco Salad in a Jar – Crisp corn, black beans, diced tomatoes, and romaine lettuce make a great base for a Mexican-inspired salad from Delish.com
Mediterranean Jar Salad – Epicurious brings the Mediterranean diet to an easy to assemble mason jar version of a Greek salad featuring tomatoes, orzo, olives, red onion, and cucumber; and salty crumbles of feta cheese.
Shrimp and Feta Salad – This unique salad will gather your favorites into a refreshing summer-time feast, including savory thyme, cooked shrimp, and chopped avocado.
Martha Stewart Salad Dressing - Explore this list of easy and tasty salad dressings that will kick your mason jar salads into high gear. Just a few ingredients are shaken in a jar and added to the bottom of mason jar salads.
Looking for a new apartment home in Phoenix, Arizona. Element at Deer Valley features a wide choice of floor plans from studio to four-bedroom apartments. Enjoy making your own mason jar salad creations in our lovely, designer kitchens that feature stainless steel appliances and professional flooring.